One of the greatest ways to bring the ideal of the furry fandom and this year's theme home is through art. Oklacon hosts an Artists' Alley to showcase the talent of attendees local and from abroad. Aspiring artists just starting out, or those wishing to test the waters of taking commissions at a full-fledged furry convention can use this opportunity to sell or give away their own original work. At Artists' Alley, attendees can commission artwork of their own characters. For artists, Artists' Alley provides a space for aspiring doodlers to introduce their unique styles to a broad audience, and learn from the experience as they contemplate making a presence in the Dealers Den in future years.
Policies and Procedures
- There is a fee to participate: Each attendee who wishes to take an empty seat in Artists' Alley must pay a one-time fee of $10, which will be remitted on your behalf to the park. The fee is not a credit towards any taxes owed, and it non-refundable. The fee provides one attendee the ability to occupy one unoccupied seat in Artists' Alley. This fee does not provide any guarantee of space and does not reserve a spot for the payee -- that is, if a spot abandoned and another attendee pays the fee to assume the vacated seat, when that individual returns, they must wait to find another vacated spot to resume their Alley activities.
- No selling the work of others: Artists' Alley is not for third-party agents to resell the work of others; such agents must apply for the Dealer’s Den.
- No prints: Artists' Alley is not for the professional resale of merchandise (items made in bulk prior to the convention) or duplicated items (prints). Only unique, original works may be sold in this venue.
- Limits on mature works: The Artists' Alley is a general audience area. All works on display must be appropriate for an audience of all ages. Mature works must be shielded with opaque materials to hide any mature elements, including artistic nudity and excessive gore. Example portfolio binders that contain any mature works must be collected into a separate binder clearly marked as inappropriate for minors, and the artist may allow others to peruse a mature binder at their table after checking for non-minor badges.
- For convention attendees only: Only registered, paid attendees will be granted access to the Artists' Alley at Oklacon. Those without convention badges will not be permitted in the Artists' Alley.
- Artists must report sales and remit taxes: For 2011, there is no charge for Artists' Alley. However, each artist must complete the required Oklahoma Sales Tax reporting forms stating their total sales and remit Oklahoma Sales Tax to the registration desk to be sent on your behalf with your form to the Oklahoma Tax Commission. This is a state requirement based on the convention's Special Event Permit. Oklacon is required by law to report any artist to the Oklahoma Tax Commission who is presumed to have made sales in this venue but fails to file a sales report and/or remit sales tax to the convention.
- Seats are not assigned: The Oklacon Artists' Alley is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- No selling outside the venue: Convention attendees are not allowed to sell artwork outside of the Artists' Alley. Only those seated at a marked Artists' Alley seat are permitted to make sales of artwork. Art can be created anywhere at Oklacon, but sales must occur in the Alley.
- Abandoned spaces will be reassigned: The Alley Mutt shall consider empty seats abandoned, whether or not an artist's items are still at the table space. There is no "saving spaces" using stand-ins to sit in a chair, neighboring artists to 'reserve' the space, or leaving items on tables. Items left on abandoned spaces shall be collected by the Alley Mutt whenever another attendee is present who wants the space so the other attendee may have the opportunity to use it instead. No one shall be "bumped" when artists who abandoned a space returns -- first-come, first-serve. The Alley Mutt shall maintain all waiting lists and be the sole determiner of space availability.
- No guarentees on space: No guarentees on space availability can be made for this venue. No one is entitled to a seat unless they rightfully obtain it by the first-come, first-serve process. Professional artists who require a space guarentee to recoup costs must instead register for the Dealer's Den.
- No security provided: Artists are responsible for watching and securing their own works and materials in the Artists' Alley. Neither Oklacon nor Fuzzy Productions, LLC assumes liability for damaged, lost, or stolen items from the Artists' Alley.
- Abandoned items will be returned or auctioned for charity: Items left after the close of the convention shall become the property of Fuzzy Productions, LLC. Items shall be returned to the original artist within 90 days of the convention at the artists' shipping and insurance expense. Abandoned items shall be auctioned off by Fuzzy Productions, LLC in the next year’s Oklacon Charity Auction.