Furry Drama Show (previously the Variety Show)
Oklacon is hosting another installment of show of diversity this year and we are looking for talented people like yourself to assist, perform, to write skits and bring their talents to the stage. This is the Furry Drama Show!
- First, we'll be having a "That's Entertainment" panel, in which you can learn how to impress like the best with your time on stage. This will be your opportunity to build your idea to a successful skit by collaborating with other performers. If you wish to bring a video or have anything to contribute to the show this is the best time to do it.
- Next, we've got the Rehearsal panel, a closed-door chance to refine your skit's flow, dialogue, and music and lighting cues to ensure when your big break comes, you and your co-performers will impress the audience as a well-oiled act!
- Finally, your skit will be part of the Furry Drama Show act, open for all badged convention attendees to watch and applaud your hard work and outstanding talent!
What Acts Are Accepted?
We have had comedy, musicians, video entries, dance troupes, stand up comedy, and puppety. If you can entertain an audience with your humor, talent, or special abilities, we would be looking to have you come to the stage! You must, however, attend both the That's Entertainment and Rehearsal panels to perform in the show so we can help you make your act sizzle on it's own, and also work well among the others performed in the show. If you have a pre-prepared skit or video you will still need to come to rehearsal unless it is a video sent in to us. For more information or questions, please contact Draconis.
Okay, Sign Me Up!
Ready to unleash your talents upon Oklacon? Great! First, you must register for this year's Oklacon -- we have to know for sure you're coming! Next, please contact our events team with the following information:
- Your registered badge name
- The registered badge name(s) of any other attendees joining your act
- If you already know the name of your skit, include it in your message.
- If your act needs music or sound that you will bring, what is the format and media type you will be bringing?
Rules and Advice
- Performances should not be longer than 3 minutes. We have found longer performances then 3 minutes normally will not hold up well on stage and also cuts into others performance time. Exceptions can be made with very entertaining acts.
- You do not need to have a fursuit to be on stage! The stage is open to everyone with a good act, music, poetry, singing. Get on stage and get down with your bad self!
- If you have pre-recorded music or dialogue, it should be on a CD, DVD, or Flash drive labeled with the skit name and your registered badge name. If there is more than one track on the CD (for audio needs), please label which track # you need played and which time in the track it should be started. Oklacon is not responsible for lost media, so only bring a copy to the convention, not your original DVD or CD.
- The Furry Drama Show is an event open to Oklacon attendees of all ages. Because Oklacon caters to a family-friendly audience, all skits must be "G" or "PG" in nature.
- Practice makes perfect! Remember to rehearse your performance as much as possible. Rehearsal time is limited at the con, so rehearse beforehand.
- If you have signs for skit, make sure that they are large enough to be seen from the back row and under lower lighting. Also remember to hold them long enough to give the audience a chance to read them.
- Remember a private joke is just that. The audience is not likely to get it.
- For safety reasons, we will need to approve of any items your act might throw into the audience.
- If you need help with your performance or want to be in a skit, you must attend both the That's Entertainment and Rehearsal panels before the show. They are a great opportunity to meet with acts looking for extras! They're also a great way to ensure the A/V staff knows your skit well enough to ensure it is executed perfectly when your big moment arrives!
- We will be accepting video for presentation during Furry Drama Show. If you are not going to be attending the convention, make sure you credit all those in your video as well the location. Videos are encouraged, but not required, to be in line with this year's convention theme: Classic Science Fiction. Video presentations should not exceed 3 minutes but exceptions for superior work can be made. Videos containing copyright material must include a statement by the copyright holder permitting the rebroadcast to a public audience at Oklacon.
- Should your act need to change or you come up with something better you need to let your stage director and emcee know about this as they are basing everything you have shown them off rehearsals earlier.